Surface Science Western has worked with manufacturers of electronic devices from Canada, The United State and Asia. Much of our work has involved identifying residues and contaminants associated with the fabrication of microchips, photomasks and silicon wafers. We have also helped assemblers with quality control issues by examining defective solder joints, residue and contamination on circuit boards and addressed concerns with regard to lead content.
Companies that are active in research and development have also benefited from SSW’s expertise, including improving flat panel displays and evaluating prototype devices.
Electronics and Semiconductor Solutions
- ToF-SIMS analysis of organic defects on photomask plates
- Through-the-pellicle Raman analysis of haze defects
- Analysis of process cleaning contaminants
- Imaging of chromium patterning on 6” photomasks
- Elemental analysis to determine the lead content of soldered joints
- Examination of incomplete gold layer that provided a pathway for corrosion of copper contacts on PCBs
- Ultra-shallow depth profiles of boron implants in silicon wafers
- Imaging of multilayer GaAlAs wafers