The laboratory at SSW is well equipped to analyze the surface chemistry of mineral phases in flotation streams and to determine precious elements concentration and partitioning within mineral phases from a variety of metallurgical processes.
Low level concentration and distribution of precious metals (ppm and ppb range) in mineral phases are routinely analyzed using dynamic secondary ion mass spectrometry (D-SIMS). Quantitative analyses can be performed for a whole range of elements (for example Au, Ag and PGMs) in value minerals as well products from other metallurgical applications. This type of information is vital for process development and optimization.
The relative distribution of adsorbed species on mineral grains is routinely analyzed by time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry (TOF-SIMS). This technique provides information on the surface chemistry of minerals and can identify potential problems with lower recovery and grades related to a variety of mineral processes:
Factors Influencing Flotation
● activators ● depressants ● surface oxidation ● collector loadings
Mineral Chemistry and Leach Products
● preg-robbing ● surface coatings: Ag, Hg, Cu ● refractory gold minerals
Roasting/AC POX/CIL Circuits
● refractory gold locking ● preg-robbing ● encapsulation
Examples of experimental studies involving trace element analysis and mineral surface chemistry are presented in the Application Notes.
Upon request, we will recommend to our client, specific optimized study proposals that would best address their needs. In addition, we offer a variety of standard service packages for the most common applications of micro-beam analytical techniques in the mineral processing industry. Descriptions of the standard service packages and related fees are provided in the corresponding links below.
- Abbreviated metallurgical study
- Feed ore characterization: ore chemical activity testing by TOF-SIMS
- Abbreviated quantitative screening for carriers of precious metals in ore samples
- Quantitative D-SIMS analysis of sub-microscopic gold in sulphide minerals
- Characterization of discharge samples from AC-POX/CIL circuits by SEM/EDX and AES
- Deportment of gold in discharge samples from AC-POX/CIL circuits
- Determination of surface gold preg-robbed on carbonaceous matter from AC-POX /CIL stream products