Our lab is growing again. Surface Science seeks a Research Scientist in the field of polymeric and composite materials, including coatings applied to these materials. Note that this is a second posting of this position. Full details below.
To apply visit:
Note: All applications must be made through Western’s HR portal.
Job ID 14134
Faculty/Unit Faculty of Science
Department Surface Science
Employee Group PMA – Professional and Managerial Association
Appointment Type Continuing
Appointment Status Regular Full-Time
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: MS2
Please note, this is a wholly grant-funded position.
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
Surface Science Western (SSW) is a research and consulting laboratory specializing in the analysis and characterization of surfaces and materials. The unit functions as a self-sustaining business unit and utilizes a large array of precision instrumentation to provide support to industry and academic researchers. SSW works with 150-200 companies across North America per year.
The Research Scientist will develop and employ surface characterization methodologies intended to increase the breadth of interactions between SSW and general manufacturing sectors. The incumbent will work in areas such as polymeric and composite materials, and coatings applied to these materials. The Research Scientist will carry out surface and materials characterization and provide technical and scientific expertise to industrial and academic clients regarding appropriate analytical techniques, experimental design, interpretation of data, and the use of related equipment, as well as best approaches for project development, implementation, and evaluation. The Research Scientist must work with SSW team members and management in producing and developing business in existing and new market sectors.
– MSc/MEng in a relevant science/engineering discipline
– PhD in a relevant science/engineering discipline preferred
– 5 years’ working experience in a manufacturing setting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Knowledge in areas such as materials science, polymer chemistry, composite materials, coating applications
– Knowledge in analytical chemistry and of various analysis techniques
– Knowledge of some of the analytical capabilities available at Surface Science Western would be desirable
– Demonstrated ability to operate advanced analytical equipment
– Excellent written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to complete detailed reports and scientific publications
– Excellent oral communication skills with a demonstrated ability in public speaking
– Demonstrated ability to apply creativity, innovation and resourcefulness to daily work
– Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a part of a team, and to take the initiative on work assignments
– Strong problem-solving skills including experience formulating and executing action plans
– Attention to detail with an ability to retrieve, analyze and synthesize sizable amounts of data, while ensuring that information is accurate and comprehensive
– Advanced skills in software and applications used to produce and analyze research outcomes
– A desire to grow and advance personal skills, as demonstrated by attendance at conferences, workshops and other professional developmental opportunities
– Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
– Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one’s own unit
Please note, successful applicants will be required to produce a current police criminal record check(s) from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.