Training and Courses
Surface Science Western offers courses/workshops and training to both industrial and academic clientele.
Training of personnel on specific instrumentation can be arranged upon request. Training will be tailored to meet the specific analysis needs of the client.
Courses or workshops on various SSW areas of expertise can be arranged upon request. SSW staff and faculty members have lectured and published on a wide variety of topics and are considered national and international experts in their fields.
Paint Defect Analysis Workshops:
Paint Performance Consulting (http://www.paintperformanceconsulting.com/) and Surface Science Western offer 3 day paint defect analysis workshops on a quarterly basis. These workshops provide training for Paint Defect Analysts (Dirt Analysts), training for Paint Defect Reduction (Dirt) Teams, and Paint Defect Awareness for paint managers and staff.
- Increase your awareness of areas that cause paint defects.
- Review the seven components of paint defect analysis training.
- Identify the six daily activities of a paint defect analyst.
- Identify who should be on your Dirt Team and why.
- Practice the two commonly used problem solving tools.
- Summarize the program in the Plan-Do-Check-Action process improvement flow chart.
- Learn microscopy techniques and how they apply to paint defect analysis.
- Practice using the two types of commonly used microscopes in paint defect identification.
- Learn about two paint defect sample preparation techniques.
- Learn how to build a simple Dirt Reference Library for your organization
- Practice the three essential SPC Techniques used for monitoring your paint process.
- Practice the sample preparation and microscopy techniques on paint defect samples that you bring to class, from your paint process
- Learn about and see the most up to date Surface Analytical techniques available at Surface Science Western.
- Have your defects analyzed and get results that you can take back to your paint process and use to begin solving paint problems.
For more information and registration please see the Paint Performance Consulting (http://www.paintperformanceconsulting.com/) website.
SSW faculty members teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses throughout the academic year. Faculty members also accept students for 4th year thesis and graduate studies. Please contact SSW for up to date information.