With a noise level of a couple of nanometers and three height ranges (13, 131 and 1048 µm), our profilometer allows us to measure height differences from 5 nm to 1 mm. The instrument can handle samples as large as 8 inches in diameter and as heavy as 5 lbs.
The applications of the instrument cover roughness and waviness estimation and step height measurements. By scanning a series of tracings, one can also obtain a 3D topographic image of the surface, from which any scan lines can be isolated for analysis.
KLA-Tencor P-17 Surface Profiler
- Roughness quantification for surface finishing evaluation
- SIMS crater depth measurement
- Thickness measurement for thin metal and polymer films
- Radius of curvature measurements
- 3D surface morphology for detection of defects and corrosion and general surface imaging
Selected Applications in Industry:
- Monitoring of corrosion growth on metals
- Measurement of thread pitch of a screw (millimeter scale)
- Wearing on a steel modelling device (variation in roughness on different areas)
- Membrane and fabric surface 3D morphology imaging
- Reverse engineering of brightness enhancement films
- Counter top defect imaging
- SIMS sputter rate estimation